A December to Remember

 

A December to Remember


I’ll never forget my first Christmas with my family in Lawrence from back in the day. It was at the Flintstones house at 826 Arkansas Street. We got together and spent some time with each other, and we got to open presents on Christmas Day. On the road to Christmas inside the house, I got to watch Christmas specials on TV, watched holiday movies, all that stuff. For me, I watched many Disney Christmas vids. I’ll always remember watching ‘Very Merry Christmas’ and ‘Twelve Days of Christmas’ on both Disney Sing Along Songs, plus I watched a special Disney holiday classic titled ‘Jiminy Cricket’s Christmas’. It was a nostalgic feeling for the holiday season. My family and I watched another Christmas movie called ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’ by Tim Burton. Jack Skellington was wonderful!

When I was young, I got together with my family and went sledding on the hill at KU. I really loved it much! I’ll always remember my first time I sled down the hill. It was also that time my dad and I went for a walk around KU in the snow ❄️.

So what was the weather look like in Lawrence especially in December?



It was really cold…


We had a lot of fun over the years in Lawrence. And sometime I might do that again, but not for a while.


Sometimes, the cold weather makes me feel frozen. And most times in the winter, it’s freezing outside. So whenever I get cold outside, I get wrapped up inside the house where it’s warm in here until the weather warms up outside in the springtime. I really enjoyed throwing snowballs outside the outside, at school, and around town. I’ll never forget the time when Stephanie and I played outside in the snow at KU. She even took pictures of me while I’m in the snow.


Thanks, Stephanie!


I really love Christmas because of the red and green everywhere when the greatest time of year comes every season. The best thing about it is when I spend it with my family. It’s such a warm feeling to be here with my folks.


Another thing that remember with my family is the time we were in Kansas City that evening at the Country Club Plaza, and we all together to see the Christmas lights get turned on. Everyone enjoyed it more than ever, even me.


I got plenty of plans to spend the holiday season once again, and I can’t wait to see what’s in store this year. And while the year’s coming to a close, I love taking the time to remember all the good times I had in Lawrence. And I hope that I will do it again sometime in the future. And when I do, I wanna plan something new and fresh every time. New ideas, new events, new stuff to check out, anything.


On the Christmas tree, I cracked up when I saw that naughty stocking ornament hanging up on one of the branches.


Man, I was really laughing my head off. My dad thought that was funny.


Okay guys and now to fresh things up, here’s my special Lawrence Top Ten.

Today’s top ten is:

The Top 10 Christmas Albums/Songs


#10: John Denver and The Muppets - A Christmas Together

“The Twelve Days of Christmas”



#9: Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmas

Originally from the album “McCartney II”



#8: The Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas

“Linus and Lucy”



#7: “Santa Claus Is Comin’ To Town” by Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band

Recorded on December 12th, 1975 at C. W. Post College in Brookville, NY



#6: James Brown - Funky Christmas

“Soulful Christmas”



#5: The Beach Boys - The Beach Boys’ Christmas Album

“Little Saint Nick”



#4: “Sleigh Ride” by Leroy Anderson




#3: Alvin and the Chipmunks - Christmas with the Chipmunks

“The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don’t Be Late)”



#2: “Do They Know It’s Christmas” by Band Aid



#1: “Christmas Wrapping” by The Waitresses




I’ll be back later on to announce you the top ten Christmas specials.


But right now, it’s time for me to spend the holidays with friends and family. It’s always the most wonderful time of the year , and we can’t wait for holiday season. As for me and my family, I can’t wait to see what I’m getting for Christmas.


Best wishes to all of you.


For those of you who don’t know, my mom and I remember that time when we were going to get some lunch at McDonalds downtown, we saw Santa Claus stuck on top of the roof of the Weavers building that evening. I had no idea what he was doing up there. But we were surprised to see him on top of the building. I couldn’t believe it, it was so cool when we saw him. But just then, it was a good thing Santa was rescued. It was during a holiday lighting ceremony here where it started.


I feel like I’m gonna have a really exciting Christmas this year, and let’s hope to great times we’ve had this year. Here’s to the new year!


P.S.  If still you’re looking for this videotape of me with my friend Liz and Kurt playing at the playground of the schoolyard, followed by me hanging out at Kurt’s house messing around with VideoToaster when I was a kid, along with a slideshow of all the memories of my childhood as a little tyke, please let me know on this. Cause I wanna combine this video with all the good times and all the memories from past and present and put them all on YouTube. The beginning of the video starts out with plenty of pictures of me going really fast with a Sonic boom, then cut to me singing ‘We Wish You a Merry Christmas’. Music featured by Hoodoo Gurus, The Pretenders, R.E.M., and the instrumental version of ‘Somewhere Over The Rainbow’ in the background. Before that, there’s plenty of footage of me, Liz, and Kurt having fun together. Also, it has me playing around with the keyboard and talking on the microphone. I sounded like an alien speaking and vocalizing.

Thanks.


Anyway that’s all for this blog, and here’s to all the good times and memories we all shared together in Lawrence. And let’s hope we get to do this again and beyond.

From all of us to all of you, have a merry Christmas and a happy New Year.


Happy holidays, everybody.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Ode To My Favorite Teacher, Lois Orth-Lopes

My C-Tran Story

My Two Special Tributes (Rachel & Jennifer Unruh)