My Next Tribute to Chandra Freeman

 


Welcome back to my monthly blog. Today I wanna start my next tribute to another friend of mine who I first met in Cordley during my school year. That next tribute to someone is Chandra Freeman.

Ever since I first met her as a para in Cordley, I realized how cute I am when I was a kid. Back then, I remember all of those times I spent together with her and Jason at their house. I know she helped me out by practicing my singing of the Star-Spangled Banner for the school’s talent show for my music class. And just like that, I was really good at that. She even helped me out with my math problems, reading, and other things I learned from school. When she and I were in the car together, we would go to plenty of adventures. During that time, we listened to songs on the radio.

Like this song I’ve once heard about when we were getting some dinner at McDonald’s. The song I first heard was “3AM” by Matchbox Twenty.

I can tell you right now that this song is the top of the chart on the radio station. Rob Thomas is one heck of a guy when he sings and he’s one talented singer. The best thing about this band is the first time I once listened to it.



The next song we listened to is one that she remembers the most.

Crocodile Rock by Elton John.

That song was from the 70s so to speak, and it was the most exciting happy-go-lucky song we’ve ever listened to in my life. I really loved the part where he goes “Laa la-la-la-la-laa, la-la-la-la-laa, la-la-la-la-laa!” and she and I would sing the post-chorus before we’re on the go. It was really fun!


The next other musical piece we listened to was Enigma and I first heard the song “Sadeness, Part 1”.

The way I hear that song makes me feel relaxed and more calm when I imagine myself in a dream world somewhere. But in real life, I love how it sounds. The samples including the shakuhachi sound and the trip hop beats are just so legit. Just think if I were to create a song on GarageBand and used the shakuhachi sample, it would be more calming in a smooth jazz song. That’s why I’ve heard this sample in so many different songs besides Sadeness. Anyway, this song is also very soothing and experimental with a little downtempo level.


The next song I once heard for the first time is one from Savage Garden. The song is titled “I Want You”, and it sounded more like you’re in the future in space with the sound of synth-pop music. When I first listened to that track on the radio, I feel like I’m traveling through space.  And when I watched that video from the band, it felt like there was a transmission into the future. Anyway, this song made me wanna dance. At first, I didn’t know what that song name was. But at least I got the song name figured out then.


Now here’s a couple more songs that Chandra and I listened to.

I listened to the first song from Smash Mouth, “Walkin’ On The Sun”. The first time I heard that song reminded me of summertime and in California during vacation. Whenever I hear it, I feel like I’m on a road trip in my head.


“Another Brick In The Wall” by Pink Floyd. That song was interesting in a really dramatic yet cool way. When I first watched the video for the song, it was featured on the movie. Great song! The kids sang that verse too.


“Hey! Teacher! Leave those kids alone!” That line was also used in the Disney movie “Recess: School’s Out”.


Plus, the line that cracks me up every time I hear it


“If you don’t eat your mean, you can’t have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat?!”

The line was spoken by Roger Waters himself. Well played!




There’s also this other song I first discovered while in the car. If you’ve heard of “Supersonic” before, then you should check out J.J. Fad.

That song was energetic and unique, and it was released in 1988 before I was born. Chandra and I were first listening to that song in the car once and we liked it. We all know that J.J. Fad is everlasting in the early 90s, and that’s that.


Then there’s also a couple more that I first discovered on the radio.

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones with their hit single “The Impression That I Get”.

I remember listening to that song when I first listened to a little ska music for the very first time. Third wave ska music is the absolute best in the music charts.




I also remember listened to their version of “The Zig Zag Dance” on Elmopalooza.



There’s also that song I first heard on the radio. “Sell Out” by Reel Big Fish. I’m telling you right now on this one. That song was exciting, makes me wanna go to the record store and look at some new music in stock. You know this song really reminds me of the time I went to Kief’s music store in downtown Lawrence. This song was also featured as a single from the album “Turn Off The Radio”. The album cover was offbeat though.


And you wanna know what pop song I also listened to on our way to Chandra’s house?

“C’est La Vie” by B*Witched.


Greatest pop song ever heard! I’d always thought you could know that one though.


Okay, moving on.

When we were both at Chandra’s house, I remember the times I used to play Super Mario on the Nintendo Entertainment System in her room. And I gotta tell you right now, I’m a pro at this ever since I started playing Sega Genesis. Whenever I play on Nintendo, I imagine myself in a video game in the 1980s. That was before Super Mario Bros became a future animated feature film for Illumination.


When I first met Jason Freeman, he and I would mess around and play around with him along with Chandra at any time.

Even Jason would wrestle me just like Wrestlemania. We would even watch something good on TV like the time we watched PBS shows like Barney & Friends, Sesame Street, and many others. Even watch a little Nickelodeon together. I remember when she and I watched Tiny Toon Adventures once. The episode was called ‘Journey To The Center of Acme Acres’.


We were both watching it and Plucky and Hampton felt the shake of the “big bad quake”. In short, it’s actually an earthquake. That episode was offbeat and extremely funny. I had no idea that Chandra like Looney Tunes in the first place. And to be honest with you on that one, that’s part of the Warner Bros. Cartoons.


While on a drive around town, we went for a walk around the forest and headed back. It was a long walk here. I had no idea where we were but at least found a way back.

During the school year, we got together the both of us and got to see a school play at St. John’s called ‘Cinderella’. And when we saw that play, it was just like the Disney movie I watched on video. It was absolutely enchanting, and it was really great.


There’s also that time we both hung out at the Kansas River in North Lawrence. We were talking, and throwing some rocks in the river. It was getting close to sunset as we’re sitting on the big rocks in the river. And I thought I was done when I started playing with the sand. Then we took a little walk around until I was really tired. Even when we kept listening to the radio on the way back.


Now when my family and I got to visit Chandra, Jason, and the girls, they were excited to see me once again. They were watching the Sci Fi channel or something, I don’t know. Anyway, Chandra will always remember how cute I was and always will in her heart. On the way back to my place, Chandra demonstrated something that made me laugh a lot. First off, she pushes her cheeks of her face and she once told me, “Chubby wants to go on a motorcycle ride.” And then she stretched her face and went “Aaah, slow down! Slow down!” My folks and I think that was funny. Well played, Chandra. Well played. That cracks me up!

Now I wanna take the time to thank Chandra and Jason for all the good times we’ve shared together, even though you’re not around. Chandra and Jason, you guys are the best. I will always remember you when I was a little kid. You really make me smile. 😃  Hey, tell the girls I said hi for me. Oh one more thing, send me some pictures of when I was a kid. See if you can find a couple pictures of me. And if you can’t find them, that’s okay. 👌 I wonder what you guys can do for me next.


Even though I'm grown up and I'm not a kid anymore, I'll still be remembered as the cute one. I'll always remember as one of my friends. And you too, Jason. I hope this tribute will make you extra happy. Love you guys and best wishes to you.


😍💙💚💛💜✌ We love you.


Until then, you two have a great day and keep up the good work.


That was my tribute to my friend Chandra Freeman and Jason Freeman.

Here’s to you, guys!



If you like my blog entry, let me know on the comments below and tell me what you think. That’s it for all, check back later another story on the Lawrence Kansas Monthly Blog.

Hasta la bye bye!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Ode To My Favorite Teacher, Lois Orth-Lopes

My C-Tran Story

My Two Special Tributes (Rachel & Jennifer Unruh)