Let’s Go Get a Haircut

 



Welcome back to my monthly blog. Now today we’re gonna talk the place where I get my buzz cut.

Rex’s Stadium Barber Shop.



This is where people in downtown Lawrence come to Rex’s and get a haircut at anytime. That’s what I come in. I’ll never forget getting my haircut back in May 2013. It seemed like it was only yesterday, I was about to get my buzz cut. The reason I always get a buzz cut is because it’s my official summer look.


Man, those were the good old days there. I wish I could come back there and get a haircut again. I remember that time I went there and I got together with Rex and I got myself a buzz cut. That look is perfect for every summer because it helps me look really cool. 😎

Back in the day when I was little, I had my first haircut at the downtown barber. When I finally got my haircut, I thought I was gonna get poked by the ears with the scissors. But it turns out, it doesn’t hurt at all. It’s just my hair getting cut. Duh!

Okay, so here’s what I’ll be thinking when I’m back in Lawrence. Every six months I’ll be planning on getting haircut. A haircut for the summer, and one for the fall and winter.


Buzz cuts for the summer. (The ‘no hair’ look)
Short cuts for the fall and winter.


This is what my buzz cut usually looks like. And at times, I really like my buzz cut really really shorter so I have no hair…completely. My family and friends would be very impressed to see this.  Now get this, whenever I can get a haircut every six months, I can also get my head washed with some shampoo to keep it clean and healthy. And then after that, my haircut is officially ready. Now I look fresh!


So anytime I go to that place in downtown Lawrence, you can count in Rex Porter.


It’s also the place where people who get a haircut can watch the Jayhawks game on TV too.


The way I feel my head with no hair really makes me look really cool and fresh any time. With my buzz cut in the summer time, I can use it whenever I’m at the pool, when I’m in the shower, at the beach, and of course when it’s really hot. I also use it whenever I’m at Clinton Park for a picnic. In case you didn’t know, my family and I went there once along with my stepsister and stepbrother for a picnic here. And I got to go swimming in the lake. Cool, huh. We’ll talk more about this later on. But right now, we’re still talking about the hair cut I get downtown.

Anyway, I love getting haircuts every summer because it’s really fun and everyone is really really friendly. Back in the day, my dad and I went there for a haircut once, and we both had no hair. Isn’t that wild? I always count on the buzz cut.

I remember when I was watching Gullah Gullah Island on Nick Jr. that morning. And while I was watching, I heard a really good song about it. It was sung by the Brotherhood Gospel Singers in this segment. Those guys were really talented!

Now that’s good stuff to sing about.





Now I remember seeing the movie ‘Barbershop’ at Cinemark in Bluffton. It starred Ice Cube and friends. It was a really funny movie to see from back in the day. That movie was in 2002, to be certain about this. Four stars to that.


Now there’s yet another thing I remember most about. Haircuts in scenes from TV shows can be seen in really funny ways.








One. ☝️  On an episode of The Brothers Garcia, Larry wanted to get a haircut but had a little anxiety. It was funny when he was screaming out for help. Extremely funny!






Two. On an episode of The Simpsons, Lisa had gum in her hair. So in that scene, Lisa goes to the barbershop and has her gum cut off very carefully. Because he knows how important hair is to her.

When the gum was off, there was gonna be a little ‘bald’ girl without a lollipop if squirming. But then the barber leaves her with a different hairstyle. Then, she looks like a real person in the end.




Three. 3️⃣  When Chuckie was afraid of getting his hair cut on an episode of Rugrats. So to conquer his fear, he proved it by cutting his dad’s hair. After he did, Chaz looked in the mirror and he was SHOCKED! Yikes!  Then in the end, it turned not too bad. Now they’re both looking handsome.



Now imagine this. If on an episode of Big Nate, Nate’s hair has gotten too long. So when Nate attempts to get his hair cut in his awesome shape, he keeps getting the wrong perm. And then on his way to the barbershop, his hair was all cut. And it was either perfect or in some really funny way his hair got messed up. I like his hair spiky in the series.



Or on an episode of My Gym Partner’s A Monkey, Adam’s hair is grown long. Then Jake takes him to the barbershop to get his hair cut.


In case you haven’t forgot…again, there was already an episode where Adam shaved his hair off with an electric razor. If he were to tell Jake off over Cuddlemuffins, he'd probably deserve it. Ouch! Guess he got pretty carried away in that one, huh.






Now I've been to many barbershops here in Lawrence before. I've been to the Downtown Barber.

That was where I got my first haircut once.



I went to SportClips once...


...and my mom and I got a haircut too. I also got my head all washed up right after a buzz cut there also.



Now you're probably wondering, who were the first ones to actually cut their hair? Well, I'll tell you more as I discuss...
The History of Haircuts!


Hair has been adorned and styled for thousands of years. In ancient civilisations like Egypt, Mesopotamia, and Greece, hairstyles often signified one's social status and role in society. For example, the iconic braided wigs worn by Egyptian pharaohs and noblewomen symbolised power and sophistication.

So what was the first haircut about? And who invented it?

Well, long hair was the most popular style throughout many years. The Egyptians were the first to actually take a blade to their hair.

And how do they cut hair before using scissors?


The only thing we had to cut hair with were flint knives, sharpened shells, and bronze razors. These tools remained in use for centuries until the development of steel scissors and razors. It wasn't until 1919 where the first electric hair clipper was invented by Leo J. Wahl.

Pretty vintage...


Okay, now let's learn about how it's important to society.

The History of Barbershops

So who invented the first barber shop you ask?


Well, it started in 5000 B.C. As early as 6,000 years ago, barbering services were performed by Egyptian nobility. Here's how it happened. The first barbering services were performed by Egyptians in 5000 BC with instruments they had made from oyster shells or sharpened flint. In ancient Egyptian culture, barbers were highly respected individuals. Priests and men of medicine are the earliest recorded examples of barbers.


The barbershop has been around for centuries and has served as an important social institution. The earliest origins of the barbershop can be traced back to ancient Greece and Rome, where barbers were highly respected members of society. In fact, the Roman Emperor Nero had his own personal barber.

Now think about this...

How much did a haircut cost in 1940?

Answer: The price of a shave and a haircut at Leo's Barber Shop on Park Avenue was 35 cents in 1940. Isn't that cool?

And what was the first settlement in Portsmouth called?

Answer: The first settlement here was called Pocasset as well as a section of Tiverton near Howland's Ferry. The name Portsmouth was adopted on July 1, 1639.


Now what's the culture of barbershops around the world?

Check this out! The barbershop culture is not just about getting a haircut; it's about the artistry and skill of the barber. Around the world, barbers take pride in their craft, honing their skills through generations. From classic fades to intricate designs, each cut tells a story of tradition and expertise. That means international barbershops are all over the world.

How awesome is that?!


So what is the first haircut you ask?

Well, I'll tell you. Take a look at this picture.


A boy's first haircut, known as choula or mundan, is one such samskara and is considered an event of great auspiciousness. The lawbooks or smritis prescribe that a boy must have his haircut in his first or third year, though when a family does it varies in practice.

n Hindu tradition, from birth, hair is associated with less positive aspects of or qualities from past lives. Thus at the time of the shave, the child is freshly shaven to signify freedom from the past and moving into the future. It is also said that the shaving of the hair stimulates proper growth of the brain and nerves, and that the sikha, a tuft at the crown of the head, protects the memory.

At the twentieth day from birth, Maliku babies' heads are shaven and the hair is weighed against gold or silver, which is given to the poor. The ceremony is called boabeylun.

In Mongolia, Mongolian children get their first haircut in early ages between 2–5. Depending on the lunar calendar, boys receive their first hair cut in their odd year and girls in even year. The ritual of cutting the first hair is called Sevleg Urgeeh or Daahi Urgeeh. It is a big occasion for a whole family when guests are invited. Each guest cuts a strand of hair, saying their best wishes to the child, and gives a gift and money.

Many Orthodox and Hasidic Jewish boys get their first haircut when they are three years old. The hair-cutting ceremony is known in Yiddish as the upsherenish or upsherin ("shear off"), and in Hebrew as halaqah (from the Arabic حلاقة - "to shave").

So get this...


In Israel, there are also non-religious families who adhere to this custom and do not cut their sons' hair until the age of three. A mass hair cutting ceremony is held on the holiday of Lag BaOmer at the tomb of Rabbi Simeon bar Yohai in the Galilean town of Meron.

The Aqiqah ceremony involves shaving the child's head seven days after birth and anointing the child's head with saffron. It is traditional to give in charity gold or silver equal in weight to the hair. This does not have to be done by actually weighing the hair; if it is too difficult to do that, it is sufficient to estimate the weight and give paper currency equivalent to the price of that amount of gold or silver.

In Poland, The ritual first haircut (Polish: postrzyżyny) was a pre-Christian pagan-Slavic tradition which survived in Poland well into the 18th century. This first haircut traditionally took place between the ages of 7 and 10, and was conducted by either the boy's father or a stranger, who would thus enter into the boy's family. Before that age the boy's life was connected to his mother and he was treated as a child. The ritual haircut, coupled with the granting of an additional given name (usually the third), marked the boy's coming of age and a transition to the world of men, in which he was to be looked after by his father. The ritual also constituted the father's formal act of recognition of the boy as a son.

In Ukraine, Ukrainian babies often have their hair cut on their first birthday as part of the ancient Postryzhennya custom.


In Cook Islands tradition, the haircutting ceremony is a rite of passage for young boys. At these large gatherings the boy sits on a chair draped with tīvaevae (quilts). As his hair is cut, members of the community plaster the boy with money or other gifts. The custom serves to maintain reciprocal ties within the extended family and community.

Traditionally, Niuean boys do not cut their hair, which is lovingly cared for by sisters, mothers and fathers. When the boys become teenagers, a ceremony is held where women tend the hair for the last time before it is cut. Members of the extended family plaster the youth with banknotes – all part of a large informal Niuean economy that links families and ensures the community looks after its own.

Even in Malaysia, they get their first haircut too. Malaysian children get their first haircut after the mother's confinement period is over, this can be from around 40–44 days long but more recently it has been done in as few as 20 days.


Now in North America, Some Native American tribes commemorated the first haircut with a ritualistic dance. The Apache tribe had a springtime ritual.

Within the African Caribbean community this is performed once the child begins to speak clearly or after the child reaches two. This is usually done in a barbershop or carried out by the parent.

And in the Yazidi tradition of Iran, the bisk ceremony involves cutting of a baby boy's two or three first locks, according to old traditions by his 40th day after birth to be given to the family's shaikh and pir, but in modern practice at 7 to 11 months, and kept by the family. The bisk ceremony is regarded as the central initiatory ritual by most Yazidis from Turkey, Armenia. and Syria. In the European Diaspora, the term is often translated as baptism. The ceremony is reminiscent of the Muslim 'aqiqa celebrated on the seventh day after birth, but the Yazidi ceremony takes place at a later stage, when the child has already been named.



Okay enough of that. let's move on.


What are the popular hairstyles?

Let's review:

As they say before. When we think of having a new look, we don’t just consider what looks good on us. We also consider what will make us feel comfortable, more like ourselves or what we want to be.


1. Pixie Cut


Shorter and cropped pixie hair is a classic favorite among women since the 1950s when actress Audrey Hepburn wore the style in her debut film Roman Holiday.




2. Braid and Cornrows


Braids are versatile, beautiful, and quite traditional. Women with either short or long hair would never be left out with this hairstyle. Although its roots may have come from African countries, celebrities like Bo Derek and Alicia Keys have reinvented Braids and their popularity across the globe.




3. Bangs


Bangs are very famous for both long and short hair, especially among Korean, Japanese, and Chinese women. Hairstyling is a beauty statement for women. Your tresses frame your face and define your features. But it doesn’t end there. Whether you wear your hair short or with long locks, your hairstyle also defines your personality and character.





4. The Bed-Head Hairstyle


This probably tops the list of the most popular European hairstyles, as it is known to be loved by French women. The I-woke-up-like-this look is totally sexy and more often than not, seen being worn by runway models across the fashion capital cities of the continent. It eventually became one of the most popular hairstyles among women, especially those who want to sport a French-woman look. See how English model Kate Moss and French actress Léa Seydoux wear the bed-head hairstyle.



5. Long Bob or the Lob


The lob, is another favorite of women among the most popular hairstyles around the world.  It’s a great alternative for those who are transitioning from short to long, or those who want to go shorter, but not too short.  The long bob is an easy go-to hairstyle that actresses Emma Stone and Reese Witherspoon swear by.



Now look at this!


There's even a documentary starring Chris Rock titled 'Good Hair'. centers on the issue of how African-American women have perceived their hair and historically styled it. Plus, it explores the modern-day styling industry for black women, images of what is considered acceptable and desirable for African-American women's hair in the United States, and their relation to African-American culture.

According to Wikipedia, it says here that Chris Rock explores why black women adopt so many different styles for their hair. Techniques designed to straighten hair appear to be intended to give it characteristics of Eurocentric (or "white") hair. Other styles create elaborate designs related to African traditions and recent innovations in fashion. Rock is quoted as saying, "I knew women wanted to be beautiful, but I didn't know the lengths they would go to, the time they would spend—and not complain about it. In fact, they appear to look forward to it."

If you like getting haircuts at a barbershop or in the mood for new hairstyles, then you gotta check out 'Good Hair'.

Now that's really good style!



Okay, we are almost done. So to wrap things up, I have an idea for when I come back to live in Lawrence again.

Here's what my idea will be.

Every six months whenever my hair grows back and when the time comes, I'll be getting a buzz cut every summer in May or June. And in fall or winter seasons, I'll be getting a short cut or a tiny buzz cut for shorter "professional" hair. That way, I can enjoy myself a good look every time I go to the barber shop. It'll be just like old times especially when I first got my first haircut here downtown.

Okay, I think that's it for now. If you like my blog about haircuts, let me know on the comments below. So, you know the drill. (That means you, pal.) Hey, if you also like this blog, maybe you can take me downtown to get a hair cut with me for a special time. Just wondering though.


Anyways, have a nice day and see you next time.


(...and cut!)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Ode To My Favorite Teacher, Lois Orth-Lopes

My C-Tran Story

My Two Special Tributes (Rachel & Jennifer Unruh)