Oh, The Places You’ll Remember Going To…

 

Dr. Seuss once said, “Oh, the places you’ll go! So… get on your way!”

And that’s true, there are so many places that you can think of going here in Lawrence. That’s why I wanna talk to you folks about the places I remember going to when I was a little boy.

First off, let’s talk about the place my family and I went to when we had breakfast downtown. This is Paradise Cafe.



That place was so authentic and local at the same time. We got together for breakfast here and we had fun there. It was at 728 Mass St. in Lawrence and the rolls were just baked to perfection. If you could understand what those rolls were in a shape of, they’re in a shape of an oval and a circle together. That’s really cool. I had the sunny side eggs and toast just like homemade. I’ll always remember going to that place in my younger days. Although, I should’ve have taken my Dragon Tales cutouts of characters I printed on paper at the office in Lawrence High School. How silly of me. At least the food was still good though.




Willie C’s! Man, this place at 616 Vermont St. was the best place my dad and I have ever been to. I’ll never forget the time I went there for lunch or dinner. I remember when I got myself a cheeseburger with fries and a drink, plain with cheese and ketchup. The best part of that is that it had a pickle next to it on the basket. That was really cool. For once, I thought this was sour, but I was wrong. It was really good in the first place when I ate it. I’ve been thinking one thing in the future when I come back, I can enjoy Willie C’s as part of the four nights for the whole week. And maybe I can have the usual just like from back in the day. And who knows, maybe I can even try the chicken fried steak meal. That would be cool.



I have another place that remember going to. In my kid years, my mom and I would go to The Toy Moon to check out some toys in store. I remember when I first bought some Arthur plush toys. That Francine Frensky doll was lovable like Arthur. That was before The Toy Store at Mass St. came in. I really loved that toy store long time ago, and it was the best thing I’ve ever seen in my childhood. And right now, I’ll still visit The Toy Store for many years to come. Oh yeah, there’s yet another toy store I remember going to with my family in the 90s. And that one was, ‘Fun & Games’! I couldn’t find a picture of the store that didn’t exist here, but I can show where Fun & Games was moved.


It was moved to the Lawrence Antique Mall before it was shut down. At Fun & Games, there was this section where you can look for many plush toys all in one place. One time I was here, and I saw these Animaniacs plush toys sitting there. I tell you folks, that toy store was pretty cool. All the toys, board games, everything! Like, Wow!



In Lawrence, there were a couple of record stores that I loved going to that decade. There was this record store for CDs and tapes called ‘The End’ at 1000 Massachusetts St, and there was that other store in downtown Lawrence called ‘Kief’s Audio Store’.




This is the one that I remember going to every time I’m in the look out for free stickers and CD singles. My favorite part of the store was that there was new releases of CDs from artists from start to finish, DVDs, free posters, and so much more. A collection of favorites that I love browsing inside the store. And that’s why music is always one of my favorite subjects in the entire world. And inside ‘The End’, you can see a collage picture of a clay-mated version of Mills Lane in Celebrity Deathmatch.


Moving on, I have another place that I remember going to also. It’s that sweet shoppe I really loved going to when I was little. And that my friends was Penny Annie’s. It was the place where I can get an ice cream all the time.



I really loved the portraits and photography of the movie stars from past decades. One of them had a picture of The Beatles, and that was really cool.




The other portraits I saw was the one that I thought it was Richard Gere. But it was someone else, so to speak. That other one also had a picture of the Little Rascals enjoying some bread and jam during break time. Those guys love to chow down.




And there was even a picture from the film ‘Casablanca’ where Captain Louis Renault took a stand by “rounding up the usual suspects”. That film was from 1943. So... Here’s looking at you, kid.



I've also been thinking of the next idea for another family cafe either at Riverfront Plaza or downtown here in Lawrence Kansas.


Back in the day and long time ago, there was a store I love going to in downtown Lawrence also. I remember going to Borders all the time for twelve years. Borders used to be at 700 N.H. But suddenly I don’t think it’s there anymore. I’ll never forget that store. Borders was a really nice store I loved going to in my younger years, even with my family too. I would look for some books, music, posters, and anything else. There was also a cafe serving pastries, coffee, and many snacks also. I give Borders a good four stars. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️   Cheers to that!


In the 90s, there was a music store and my dad and I used to go all the time before Americana Music Academy was born. That place was called ‘Harmonic Arts’. It was located at 841 New Hampshire St. It had plenty of musical instruments to test out and play with. I remember that time when my dad and I did ‘A.J.’s Mandolin Tape’. My dad played the mandolin and I played the drums. We had a blast playing around here. I really love the part where dad played bluegrass on the mandolin, and I would say to my dad to go faster. “Faster!” Then he’d play music really really fast until the song stops at the end. Thanks dad! And here’s to my dad’s friend Jay for letting us visit the store. ☮️




If you look closely, you can see the logo of Harmonic Arts on a t-shirt.


Okay, moving on. There’s also one that I remember going to before Noodles & Company opened. That is Palace Cards and Gifts. I remember one time mom and I looked around in this store. There was those liquid motion bubblers to try out and play with. I was mesmerized by these things when they were in the 90s.






That place had plenty of gifts and cards all in one. I really love the part where it smells like fresh pine and cinnamon, especially in the holiday season. It’s too bad the store’s not there, but good thing we have Noodles & Company. I’ll never forget that old gift place. So many memories…


Now before I stop, here are my honorable mentions I wanna give to you.

1. Miss Fortune’s Creation Station


It had a psychedelic theme to it with the smell of insense. I’ll never forget those time when I got myself a tie dye shirt, and that other time I got my very first Fydelity backpack with speakers on them when I can listen to music while riding my bike. I really wish Fydelity made more of these again. Speaking of which, if I wanted another new thing from Fydelity, it would be a Fi Hi speaker fanny pack, a cooler, and maybe a bum bag all to myself. The other I wanted sometimes is a portable AM/FM cassette player and recorder with a built-in speaker.


2. La Familia Mexican Restaurant

This place was really authentic and way cool to eat out. I remember the time when Dylan and I went there for lunch with Kaitlin. It was awesome! I really like the artwork and the atmosphere in that place. The first time I went there was like in the 90s since I saw a huge mural of a family and friends on the wall. That was fun.


3. Baskin Robbins

That was the ice cream parlor I also remember going to when my family and I got together for some ice cream. Sadly, it’s not in Lawrence anymore which was a bummer for me. I really wish it was still in Lawrence. But there’s still one in Kansas City though.


4. Carlos O’Kelly’s

That was the one and only time my family and I went there for dinner. That place was pretty cool too. At least I got myself a burger though.


5. Gumby’s Pizza


I really love that clay guy and his friend Pokey. You can see him on TV and remember him on “Gumby: The Movie”, but in Lawrence, you remember seeing his face on the logo for the pizza place.


6. Spangles



You know the whole saying… “It Just Tastes Better!” Yeah, it’s true. It was the time when I first went there for lunch with my dad. The fries were serves on a cup. They call it the fry cup. I’ll never forget the part where I get myself a mudslide for a treat. That place in Lawrence is the one I’ll always remember for generations. And at least there's still one in Topeka.


7. Pizza Street



This was the place where the staff make the pizza the customers like. I really enjoy going to that place all the time, even on Friday nights. It was the best, including the mini-arcade and the fact that I made my own “soft drink suicide”. Cool! That other pizza parlor I loved going to is Godfather's Pizza because that place looks like Brooklyn New York with a mafia theme. Also cool, huh.


8. CD Tradepost

Very quick though. This place had all the new and used music CD’s movies, and video games in between. That was fun too, wasn’t it.


9. Mr. Gatti’s


Oh man, that pizza joint was off the hook! I really remember going to that place all the time in Lawrence. My favorite part was the pizza buffet and a huge arcade where I used to play games here. Awesomeness! And the time that I got to watch Nickelodeon on the big screen while enjoying pizza? DOUBLE AWESOME! There’s no way that I’ll forget that place we love to go to! And right on the wall, there was a picture of the Three Stooges in the kitchen. Here’s to you, Wes Cook!


10. Joe’s Bakery




Back in the day, there was a bakery called Joe’s. This was the place where I got some donuts. I remember that place in downtown Lawrence. Now that it’s not around anymore, they still have the neon sign of the place here at the Kansas Union. And one other place I remember going to at the Union is the Jaybowl. I really loved going there to do some bowling with my friend Stephanie. It was really fun. Boy oh boy, I’ll never forget that place… Joe’s will always be remembered in our hearts.


Well folks, I think that’s it for this blog. Let me know which place you remembered going to in Lawrence Kansas. If you like this blog I’m writing right now, you can thank me later. There’s plenty more to some before the time comes for me to move back to Lawrence, and at least I have plenty of time left before this happens. Pretty soon when I come back, I wanna try Johnny’s Tavern for the very first time.


Phew! That’s all for now. I’ll see you guys on the next upcoming Lawrence blog.


Peace out!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Ode To My Favorite Teacher, Lois Orth-Lopes

My C-Tran Story

My Two Special Tributes (Rachel & Jennifer Unruh)