Video Toaster [My True Story on How I Met Kurt]

 


The following blog entry is based on a true story.







It all started in my early childhood days when I first got to meet Elizabeth Taylor here at KU. The first time I met her was the time I was in school at 1032 Sunnyside Ave. We had so much fun here. And there was the time I first saw a videotape of a slideshow made with VideoToaster by NewTek. I was fascinated when I got inspired into making videos and playing around with VideoToaster. How? Well, it was the very first time that Liz and I got together to meet Kurt for the very first time. As we got to Kurt’s house, we went down to the basement and played around with VideoToaster. Those special effects really got me hooked. I just wish that I could go back in time and finally meet up with Kurt and Liz at Avalon Video once again. And we would share a lot of the good memories that we shared together, and finally make my next slideshow. Speaking of which, I remember that slideshow that went on videotape. It first started with various pictures of me going really faster with a sonic boom. Then it had me on video singing something as a special message. Next, it had footage of me and my friend playing at the park at the schoolyard. Liz and I had a lot of fun there when I was a little kid. On the video, I once waved “Hi” to my grandma. Then it had me on the slide. One of the scenes were me climbing on the obstacle courses of the playground, going on the merry-go-round, and playing on the fire truck. I’ll never forget the time I was playing with gravel from the ground. I probably thought that it was sand, but it wasn’t. Then the next footage was at Kurt’s house where I played around with VideoToaster. The background music was the radio in the video. During the footage, I also played around with the keyboard and microphone where I talked on it and make funny noises. Next up, the songs from the artists began to play before the slideshow began.






The first song played was “Come Anytime” by Hoodoo Gurus. Gee, how could I have forget that song. Heck, I remembered it now. That song was really cool. The guitar strumming was acoustically beautiful and the rock music was awesome.






The next song played was from the Pretenders. “Brass In Pocket” was one of the best songs I’ve heard in my entire life. The pictures were changed from effect to effect, and it was really cool. And the best part is that my name is on the screen from black and white. It’s like I’m in a nostalgic art form just like Magic Eye. And then, more footage of me at Avalon Video messing around with the transitions.





And after that, the slideshow began with the first fade in with pictures of me and my family here in Lawrence. The next song played was “Endgame” by R.E.M. it had plenty of messages shown on the screen where my face is in every picture. I really love how the slideshow came out the first time. It had loads of picture frames, a ton of digital video effects, and a ton of drawings I made from school.





And finally, the song "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" in instrumental guitar. That version of the song played by 'The Wizard of Oz' was soothing, calm, and relaxing. The strumming in the guitar's notes were just so beautiful and sweet-sounding. I remember my first time listening to that song, and it was when I was sleeping to Joanie Bartels' Lullaby Magic cassette tape. That original version was from Judy Garland. I'll never forget watching this beautiful movie from back in the day. The Wizard of Oz is one of the best family movies I've seen in my life. And as always, I'll keep watching that movie for many years to come. Someday, I'll might even go over the rainbow again. And sometimes, I had a feeling I wasn't in Kansas anymore. As I follow the yellow brick road back to where I cam from, I'll always remember that there's no place like home. Just like Dorothy said in that movie.


Anyway, Kurt and I were having so much fun at Avalon Video as I started playing around with the digital video effects on VideoToaster. There were a lot of videocassettes made here at the studio. There's not just my video with a slideshow on tape, there's also a videotape of my trip to Disney World in 1995. I used the digital video effects over this video and played around with it too though. There was also a video tape of the video toaster effects that I was playing. the wipes, the overlays, the fireworks, everything.




I hope that someday I'll get to use VideoToaster once again when I get the chance to hang out with Kurt at his house.


But wait, there's more!


Who would forget that next video where I showed around downtown with my Burger King toy. Who knew that Cousin Skeeter was off the hook on Nickelodeon.




That was in the middle of a winter here in Lawrence where Kurt and I did a little downtown walkaround. That was when I was a little young man. I'll never forget those times together here. It was really cold outside which I was aware of the weather forecast.

It was a ton of fun, especially when we both got to Taco John’s to grab a bite to eat. I really like those potato olès. If I were to go to Taco John’s once again, I would enjoy a value meal with a side of potato olès. Then I’d be full until dinner.

Oh yeah, and I’d forgot to tell you about yet another project I made especially the one for my school project. That’s right, it’s ‘Countries Around The World’. This time it was about the two countries I learned about when I was in Cordley. The two were about Bolivia and Peru. I talked all about the history of the both of the countries, the cacao plants in Cochabamba where food’s grown there, the people and the cultures all in one presentation. The music played was Inca Son, which was part of Mrs. Orth-Lopes’s world CD collection for school. That was a great presentation for class and they really loved it, including my family and friends.





And after that one came my family trip to Chicago Illinois where I got to visit my friends Rachel and Doug. I even got it on another video tape presentation also. I added music from Nelly, City High, Lifehouse, and Johnny Nash. In that presentation, I recorded interviews with Rachel during trips, danced around with Kermit the Frog, and had plenty of fun with my family there too. We even got to go to Goose Island to eat there for dinner. It was a really fun place to check out. I even got to check out an ice cream parlor here in Chicago too. Those shakes were the best.  I just wish I could go to Chicago with my dad and visit Rachel and Doug once again if I ever get the chance. This one’s for you, Rachel and Doug.



Okay, now for the next part of my story. Back in 2007, I invited Kurt over to teach my media class for a day at Free State High School. The project was called “Freestate Freestyle” and we both loved it, even the whole school loved it too.





Kurt was said to me on Facebook. “Look, I’m a fake teacher. I only know video, so what do you think the subject was?” Kurt was right, he is really funny telling me that. But that was really fun too. And after that, we went to Sonic for lunch. At least I was really hungry though.  Back in the day, I also did videos converting Ren & Stimpy with videotapes of episodes from “Untamed World” to “Space Madness”. Other shows I remixed were included too. Maybe it’s time I’d do more VideoToaster fun for my next video project in the future. I also just wish that NewTek would bring back VideoToaster again sometime in the future. At least there’s TriCaster though. If you can look for digital video effects on NewTek’s website or any others like them, here’s the link to it.


https://www.discreetfx.com/Millennium.html


Now there’s another video I remember making. It was when Kurt, Liz, and I went to the Ryan Grey Playground at 1011 Highland Dr. We all did the same thing just like we did at the playground. And the best part of that is when Kurt brought his video camera with him so that he can videotape the whole thing. He needed some scenes recorded on camera though. Good job, Kurt. You rock! Liz and I then went back to Avalon Video to enjoy some tacos for lunch. I really love those beef and cheese tacos. They were really good. It was when I was eight years old and in the second grade. She and I had plenty of fun together. I really enjoyed hanging out with Kurt and Liz those days. It’s just like when we were on a play date together.




Here’s another slideshow I remember from when I was having dance party with my friends at my house at Learnard Street. That was fun too. The background music for that video was the theme song from Mission: Impossible. We’d thought we would put a song from Smash Mouth but it didn’t work properly though. Here at Avalon Video, I check out the other video room where I checked out the older DVE effects there. In that other studio room while I was playing around, I listened to that song from Gorillaz. It was the song “Clint Eastwood” and it went pretty bass drumming with the rap styles of Del Tha Funkee Homosapien. Hey now!





If I could come back to Lawrence Kansas once again, I’ll even get to hang out with Kurt and Liz for some new ideas on video projects and special events. Kurt’s still trying real hard to find that videotape of me as a kid playing at the playground and at his house with the VideoToaster. If he finds it, he’ll let me know for sure. I have to remember all the good times I had in this video so that I have this uploaded on YouTube. But sometimes, it’s hard to find the stuff someone left inside the house. At least it’s great to have a friend over with me like Kurt Henning. When I a little boy and moved to Lawrence Kansas, I first got to make new friends there. That’s the time I finally got to meet Kurt for the very first time.




Kurt and Liz, if you listening, I wanna say thank you for all the good times we had together here in Lawrence Kansas. Even for all the times that we enjoyed when we got together at Perkins Family Restaurant. (Which I almost forgot to mention that to you.) And I hope that someday we will get together and hang out once again. When there’s a special event happening here in the Lawrence Kansas area, you can invite me by social media and/or on Facebook. I would like to see what’s going on here when I come back again. Hey, if you also like, maybe we’ll keep talking about my idea on getting those digital video wipes recorded so I can use them for my next video projects. I’m also thinking of some new video template composition ideas which can come up with any kind of theme we can think of. So if you like that idea, please let me know on that one too. Plus, I’m thinking of some new ideas for music videos too. Etc. Phew! I’m never gonna get tired of me new ideas.

The moral of the story in this blog is that you take your time and brainstorm your ideas, and put them together until you’re ready. Everyone in Lawrence has a story to tell.

I hope this helps. Anyway, I believe that’s it for now. You’ve just heard the story of how I met Kurt Henning and Elizabeth Tally when I was in Lawrence Kansas.


Check back later for the next Lawrence blog real soon. Until then, this is for you.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Ode To My Favorite Teacher, Lois Orth-Lopes

My C-Tran Story

My Two Special Tributes (Rachel & Jennifer Unruh)