Playlands and Arcades

 


There's something that I almost completely forgot to talk to you about.

In Kansas, I used to go to Chuck E. Cheese's with my mom and dad in Topeka. It was fun with the talking mouse in here when I played around in the ball pit. There's plenty of arcade games to play with, win plenty of tickets, and choose from this many prizes in the prize room.

But right now, this is a different topic I should talk about today.

In Shawnee, Kansas, there was a place that I used to go to with my family and friends when I was a kid. That place is 'Jungle Jim's Playland'!



Yes, Jungle Jim's Playland. I really loved going to that place when I was a kid, it was just like Chuck E. Cheese by the way, but better. The first time I went there was with my dad along with my Aunt Tish and Uncle Jim. It was really fun for me to hang out and play around. In fact, it was really my first time there in the 1990s. As a kid, I always knew what it was like to go to that place. And ever since my first time I went there, I felt like I had a really really really great time there. It was part of my childhood and it was located at 11010 West 74th Terrace in Shawnee, Kansas. Now I know exactly what you're thinking. What is Jungle Jim's, you may ask? Well, it was a indoor playland and arcade where kids can have fun and where people can plan a birthday party. A premier indoor children's amusement park, which has opened its first Houston location. And the Jungle is the perfect spot for birthday and everyday family fun designed exclusively for children under twelve! When I was inside the play tunnels, I heard the sound of an indoor roller coaster. It was really loud when I was inside there. In fact, I also remember getting onto that indoor ride. I was riding on that thing over and over again! Man, that was super fun too. I also went on those bumper car rides there. I would bump into my uncle Jim on purpose. I don't know why, but it was fun anyways. It was indoor jungle fun for the whole family along with exciting arcade games. It had homemade pizza, hot dogs, and tasty snacks too. Whenever I was at that place, I feel like I'm 'king of the jungle'. Some say to me, "Don't monkey around, take your kids to that place and have a great time."  I'll never forget that time I went there as a little kid.






The way I look at those times at Jungle Jim's, it reminds me of the time I was once at Chuck E. Cheese from back in the day. McDonald's in Wakarusa had a indoor playland with a ball pit too. And so did Discovery Zone. These are the things that I remember going to when I was a kid. Oh, and in Topeka Kansas, there was also this indoor playground called 'The Magic Forest'. It was close to Toys 'R' Us and Mall Perks in downtown (Which I knew you'd prefer). My family and I took me there once and I liked it since Chuck E. Cheese. One of the games I like playing is the pinball machines, and not the arcade games they use when it comes to winning prizes. It was fun too. Too bas it's not there anymore, but it'll always be remembered as a memory too.


Let's see... What else? What else?


Oh yes! That! Royal Crest Lanes.




Not only there's a bowling alley along with Wayne & Larry's here in Lawrence Kansas, but there's also a video arcade for playing video games too. And the best part is, that it's still there when we need it the most. When I was visiting Lawrence for vacation for Thanksgiving, I was playing a little pinball here at Wayne & Larry's for a while, and I took a walk around the lanes and saw that the arcade games are still here. I'll still get the chance to have fun here again too, because I love playing arcade games and I'm also a pro at bowling.



The way I look at the good times at these places, there’s one I really love playing when I was a kid. This game I played one time is Skee Ball. And whenever I play Skee Ball, I always try to keep in track of my high score. Perhaps when I keep playing this arcade game, I just couldn’t get enough of it all the time. When I was at Mr. Gatti’s and Chuck E. Cheese’s, I first heard the music playing when the LED animation was playing. The ball passing by the text wiping into another was mesmerizing. At most times, we call Skee Ball “the Original Alley Game”. And we all agree, that Skee Ball is one of the best arcade games ever played here and in the United States. All it takes on this game is a little know how. And it’s very easy to play with at any time here at an arcade. So let’s play a game, shall we.



Another game I played was one of the games when we were at Mr. Gatti’s in Lawrence. That one is Spider Stompin’! It was amazing and exciting for me to play with here. At times, I remember playing that game also. It was that time when I heard one of the spiders talking, the lights flashing, and sound effects, and the LED animation coming from the screen. It was hilarious! When I stomp on those spiders fast enough, I win many tickets. My dad said to me once, “Spiders are good for you.” Yeah, that’s true. But sometimes, other spiders like the black widow spider can bite you. So you gotta be more careful about that.


But hey, if you like those arcade games I remember playing as a kid, wait til you get a hold of this. There’s yet another arcade game I also remember playing.


Top Skater: Sega Skateboarding



That game was one of the most played arcade games here at Mr. Gatti’s from the back in the day. It was really entertaining and more exciting before I first played the Tony Hawk video games on PlayStation 2. I couldn’t believe what I was playing when I felt the board tilt over while I was skateboarding in a virtual way. There was plenty of rock music playing, the animation was hype, the skaters were cool, and the sponsors were just…wow! It even got the Coca-Cola logo too.



I really like the Airwalk logo because it represents the shoe brand who reinvents the classics.



Since our birth in 1986, Airwalk has been one of the brands that launched and built the action sports community. And it’s fueled by passion and progression, driven by people pushing innovation, supporting the scene, and taking risks.


And by the classics behind the shoes, it also represents the lifestyle just like Vans. And someday I might try one of those. With enough time, I can collect many pairs of shoe brands along with my Converse. That would be a new book to write.



And one more game I remember playing. This time it was at Royal Crest Lanes. It was that time when Stephanie and I went to Royal Crest Lanes to go bowling and play video games and maybe some pinball. Right after we played pinball together, I got to the part where I get to play Off Road Challenge. My favorite tracks were Baja, Mojave, and El Paso. It was accelerated and awesome to race again and again and again. It feels like I’m in NASCAR racing along with Jeff Gordon or at the Kansas Speedway watching the race cars go head to head along the track. It also kinda reminds me of that scene from The Little Rascals where the kids race each other for the win. It was incredible! And that was the greatest racing game I’ve ever played here. I hope that someday I’ll get to do this again.


There’s also some pinball we remember playing here too. Ones are Monster Bash, Austin Powers, The Simpsons Pinball Party, and Revenge From Mars. Those pinball games were the best from back in the day too. And I can’t help but think about remembering the good times we played these games here in Royal Crest Lanes. It was a blast playing them. Thanks Stephanie! Let’s hope we can do it again sometime.


Anyway whenever I get games at the arcade here in Lawrence, it makes me feel like I’m driven back to the 90s again. And sometimes it even reminds me of the time I first played Sega Genesis at Aunt Tish and Uncle Jim’s house for the very first time. My first video game I played was Sonic the Hedgehog, and he was very fast when I first played him on the TV. I sure hope that someday when I get the chance to come back again, I will relive the past and play arcade game here in Kansas just like old times.

For now, I think that’s a wrap.

Check back really soon for another Lawrence blog to talk about. And if you would like a visit in my blog, just give me a double click. You know where to find me. See ya, and have a great day.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Ode To My Favorite Teacher, Lois Orth-Lopes

My C-Tran Story

My Two Special Tributes (Rachel & Jennifer Unruh)