This Is Halloween!

 


Halloween is coming around the corner in Lawrence, so let’s review some ideas to plan ahead for this October. When I have my next condo here in Lawrence, I wanna take the time to find some things to decorate the house for Halloween. Allow me to announce my five point plan.

Take it from me when I plan a visit to this location



1. Look for some Halloween supplies via Spirit Halloween

2. Get bags of candy varieties at a grocery story for trick-or-treaters

3. Set up the house and come up with a haunted house for the kids to enjoy

4. Put up the decorations any way you like until it’s perfect.

5. Make sure the supplies and decorations are perfect for the whole house.



Now to do that, I need someone I know who can help me out and set things up for a Halloween party. So when they help me out on setting up the decorations and everything else for Halloween, we can work together as a team. So by the time the season comes, we gotta get ourselves prepared.

We'll have plenty of fun here at my house this Halloween. I can get this music jamming, have some pizza, snacks, and soda, and give out candy to little and young kids at the same time. Well maybe I can get somebody to hand out candy to the kids while I work on the music. It'll be just like the time I did my Halloween party here at Americana Music Academy.


I hope that someday I'll get to do that once again.



Another fresh idea for Halloween is maybe while I can go trick-or-treating again, I can see the Lawrence cover band Sellout perform somewhere downtown. I can get plenty of candy while I'm dressed up for the season. It’ll be just like in 2012 when I got to see Eric and Brenya. He was dressed up as Count Chocula and Brenya was dressed up as a little Broadway girl wearing a white fur coat, a bow tie, and a little hat on. It was really great and I wanna do that again!





Okay, my next idea for the holiday is when I can give out candy, I can also give out something different to the kids. Like fruit snacks, juice boxes, music CD’s, and maybe some other items and stuff. And who knows, maybe I can give them a special surprise like a Hershey bar. There’s always happiness in every bar.


There’s also an idea where I can join a Best Buddies Halloween event for this time of year. An event where we all get together for a family Halloween movie night, a Halloween dance, or maybe even one where we all can go trick-or-treating on our way to a haunted house or the annual zombie walk. Spoooooooky!



This is where the Zombie Walk in downtown Lawrence is held every year in October.





There comes a time from back in the day when I went to Free State for a school year. I was dressed up as Bob Marley for Halloween, and Mr. Andrew and the rest loved my costume. So good they did a costume contest and a Halloween school party here at the resource room at the same time. So, I would like to give a big shout out to Darrell Andrew of Free State High School for liking my costume during my school year. Here’s to you, dude.


I can also remember the time that I celebrated Halloween that day when I was at C-Tran here in Lawrence with Jenny Rovel Jones and the others. We were all dressed up in costumes and got together for another party there. We love having a lot of fun there. And who knows what else I wanna do for Halloween this year.


Okay, and now for my special Top 10 Halloween countdown. I have two countdown to begin with. The top 10 Halloween costumes, and the top 10 Halloween classics.

Let’s get started!


Top 10 Halloween Costumes

#10: Chuckie Finster


#9: Otto Rocket


#8: Lloyd Nebulon


#7: A Hippie


#6 Surfer




#5: Weird Al Yankovic



#4: Bob Ross





#3: Luchador Wrestler





#2: Bob Marley


And now, the for the number one costume in our countdown is…

#1: 1980s Style







Okay, up next is the top 10 Halloween classics. Songs and movie classics



Halloween movie classics:


#10: Beetlejuice


I remember the first time I saw that movie. It was when I was at the Cinemark in Bluffton when the classic flicks came in. That classic line in that movie was remarkable and remembered in the 80s. The cast was amazing, the music was pretty good, and the movie was awesome. The song “Jump In The Line” by Harry Belafonte was the best to party to. It’s showtime!



#9: Hotel Transylvania


Adam Sandler played the voice of Dracula, Selena Gomez was the voice of Mavis, and the others were just spooktacular! I really loved that movie the first time I saw it, and it was that time when Henry Katz and I were on a Best Buddies event together at Hollywood Theaters in Lawrence. Genndy Tartakovsky was a hit in that movie, who was best known as the creator of Dexter’s Laboratory and Samurai Jack.


#8: Casper

Back in the day, I rented Casper The Movie on videocassette. And as I watched the whole thing, I remember when Christina Ricci played the role of Kat and Bill Pullman played as Dr. James Harvey. That movie was the best thing I saw in 1995. And the best part of the movie is that Little Richard did the theme song for the movie. I really like the part where the shaving cream got on Dibs’s face and the shaving knives were getting too close to them. That one way to start a party for them.


#7: Hocus Pocus

The Sanderson Sisters were at it again, especially in that Disney+ sequel. Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy, and Sarah Jessica Parker were just fabulous and stunning in that first movie in the 90s. I remember that part when Bette Midler sang the version of Screamin’ Jay Hawkins song “I Put a Spell On You”. It was hot hearing that version. I’d just wish that Salem the Cat would appear in that movie though.


#6: Corpse Bride

Tim Burton’s classic was off the hook when my family and I saw that film. It was really spooky and haunting in a fun-fright like family way. Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham-Carter were excellent in their performance. The stop motion and animation in this flick was really cool, especially the dead dog in it too.


#5: Igor

At first I thought I wasn’t too familiar with that movie, but at least I liked it too. John Cusack was incredible doing his voice of him. Although the cast and animation was swell and comedic in a sort of spooky way, the movie was alive. In case you didn’t know, Igor is Dr. Frankenstein’s assistant.


#4: Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

For those of you who love the classic Wallace & Gromit series, this movie was the one I love seeing here in Lawrence. The cast and characters were just wonderful. And Aardman is also famous for Chicken Run, Flushed Away, and Shaun the Sheep. Anyone wants some cheese and crackers?


#3: The Addams Family




Now which Addams Family do you prefer? The live-action movie or the animated kind. Why not try both! In the 1990s, The Addams Family was a hit from back in the day. And trust me. If you like both the 1991 movie and the 2019 animated version of the movie, then you’re gonna dig Wednesday in the Netflix series. Jenny Ortega has the most beautiful role in the show. You will always be in for a scare of your life.




#2: The Nightmare Before Christmas

The first time I saw that movie was when I was a little boy living with my family in the Flintstone house in Lawrence. Jack Skellington was awesome in this movie. I just wish the movie had a sequel. Tim Burton’s classic was a scare that came early before Christmas came. And it was the best flick I’ve seen in my life. I will always remember Jack and Sally in their musical role just like when he’s the pumpkin king.



And now, for your number one Halloween movie in our countdown.


#1: Ghostbusters

You know who to call? Just like in Ray Parker Jr.’s hit song in the 80s. That movie I just saw in Lawrence was really cool when I was outside the Lawrence Public Library for a special event.  Dan Akyroyd, Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, and Ernie Hudson were just absolutely awesome in that 1984 film, and it’s a good thing I remember that theme song I hear on the radio. Speaking of which, it was about that time I was in music class with Mrs. Evans at Cordley Elementary. And when the Ghostbusters theme song was heard, we danced with this spooky skeleton friend in class. That was really weird, but at least I liked it a lot. And one thing’s for sure, I ain’t afraid of no ghosts.


Well, there you have it. The Halloween blog entry in the Lawrence Kansas Blog. If you like it, let me know what you think and we’ll go through these ideas for the next Halloween season. In the meantime, that’s it for now. Check back later on for the next blog entry coming at you real soon.


Keep your eyes peeled for the bonus blog coming your way.


See you on the other side, and have a happy Halloween.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Ode To My Favorite Teacher, Lois Orth-Lopes

My C-Tran Story

My Two Special Tributes (Rachel & Jennifer Unruh)