Lawrence Top 10: Xmas Specials

 

Hey folks, I’m back. It’s time for Lawrence Kansas’s Top Ten.

And today we’re counting down the top ten Christmas specials I remember watching for the holiday season.


#10: The Grinch

I remember that year when my family and I went out to a movie at Hollywood Theaters. We got together and got to see Jim Carey as The Grinch. That 2000 rendition of the Dr. Seuss classic was hilarious, especially the part where he accidentally shaved the mayor’s head making him “FABULOUS”. The song ‘Where Are You Christmas’ was famous in this film and we can remember this song playing on the radio.


#9: The Year Without A Santa Claus

I really loved watching that Christmas special on tape when I was at Jennifer’s house to hang out and visit. One time at her house, we had a lot of fun together and saw that special on VHS. In that tape, I saw two of the characters between snow and heat. The two were Snow Miser and Heat Miser, and they sang a song about it in two ways. They were quote, “two much”. Get it?



The story was based on Phyllis McGinley’s 1956 book of the same name and was narrated by Shirley Booth before her retirement.

It was a magical special to enjoy for the whole family. The best part of the movie was the Miser brothers in their own introduction. Whenever you hear the words 10 below or 101, you can actually tell what the temperature of the weather would be this season. If you haven’t heard of this special, then you might wonder if it’s cold or hot for the time being.


#8: A Christmas Story

Back in my younger days, we used to watch ‘A Christmas Story’ at the Learnard house where we lived. My family enjoyed it many times. There was this kid Ralphie who wanted a Red Ryder for Christmas, but everyone kept saying “You’ll shoot your eye out, kid.” Which was really funny. I triple dog dare you! I even saw the part where Flick’s tongue got stuck in the pole. “HEEEEEELP!” Which led me to this question. What were we thinking?  Best movie ever!


#7: Elf



Will Ferrell was incredible in this movie, everyone really loved this movie. That movie was absolutely hilarious as always! My favorite parts of the movie were the angry elf played by Peter Dinklage and the snowball fight in Central Park. Those were awesome! I remember that other part where Buddy was at the toy store screaming out “SANTA! OH MY GOSH! I know him, I know him!” It also cracks me up! You feelin’ strong my friend, call me elf one more time! …he’s an angry elf.



#6: A Muppet Christmas Carol

A Muppet twist of Charles Dickens' classic tale. I remember when my mom and dad watched that movie at the old house in Pine Ridge Place in Lawrence. My folks were in the living room watching Mr. Scrooge learn the true meaning of Christmas. The Muppets were fantastic. I even saw in the promo of the movie where Miss Piggy and the two small pigs were cast in the movie.


#5: Christmas With The Kranks

It was at this special Best Buddies event where my buddy and I got together to watch a holiday movie here at KU. It was Christmas With The Kranks. Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis were in it. That movie was downright funny. The 'Free Frosty' part was weird though, especially when Frosty slid down off the roof of the house. I even like the part where icy cold water dumped on Luther. It was extremely funny, he got himself really cold! Brrrrrrr....



#4: The Polar Express

As the season comes upon us, I tell you the tale of the Polar express. I watched it two times before since I haven't seen it before in Lawrence. It was heartwarming and had a magical feeling for the whole family to watch. So beautiful. Tom Hanks was incredible in this movie.


#3: Frozen

We were in Kansas City together as a family when we first saw this holiday flick. I really like the snowman Olaf because he really likes warm hugs. Idina Menzel was beautiful in this movie. 'Let It Go' was the theme song of this movie though. As I say just like in this movie, the cold never bothered me anyway.





#2: The Nightmare Before Christmas

It was long ago back in the day when I was a little boy, my family and I watched Jack Skellington in The Nightmare Before Christmas inside the Flintstones house in Lawrence. The musical movie combined Halloween and Christmas put together and the film was scary good. I always imagined watching something different for Halloween that year, and even wondered what my folks would think. AAAAAHHHHHH!



#1: Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer

I remember one time when I was with Jennifer Unruh together at this house close to downtown. I got the chance to watch that movie on videocassette. Burt Ives was voiced as the talking snowman. Rudolph was so cute. I really enjoyed watching that movie once, she and I love that movie for the Christmas season. I just wish Jennifer was here again to see this. Thanks Jennifer for this wonderful time we spent together for the Christmas season. You make me really happy.




So there you have it. The top ten Christmas specials I remembered watching in Lawrence. So I just wanna say right now from all of us to all of you.


Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.



Happy Holidays!

From my family to yours.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Ode To My Favorite Teacher, Lois Orth-Lopes

My C-Tran Story

My Two Special Tributes (Rachel & Jennifer Unruh)