Johnny’s Tavern

 


What you’re about to witness is a place in North Lawrence that I, myself, have never been to before in decades. Today, we’re talking about Johnny’s Tavern.



That place here in North Lawrence is what we call "Serving Up Tradition" since 1953. And ever since I've been living in Lawrence for decades, I saw Johnny's Tavern here in the town of Lawrence. And when I get to move back to Lawrence, I wanna take the time to visit Johnny's for a tavern burger or some of its famous wings and catch up on the football game. The first time I wanna come here is to meet up with some friendly folks who work here and have fun there too.

Since I haven't been to that place in a long time, I'll give you the whole story about it.


Not only Johnny's Tavern is in Lawrence, it's also in Topeka, Overland Park, Prairie Village, Shawnee, and parts on Missouri including Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, and Kansas City. Since 1953 Johnny’s has been “Serving Up Tradition,” with it’s world famous hamburgers and longest runnin’ tap in Lawrence. Johnny’s is now a hot spot for sports fans as well as families. The owner who works at this place is Rick Renfro.



Now you’re probably asking, “Where did Johnny’s Tavern originate?”. Well, get this. Johnny's dates to 1953, when John Wilson opened “a haven for the workingman” with plenty of cold beer and country tunes on the jukebox in North Lawrence. It still has its original sign with a giant beer mug and red arrow pointing the way.  

Now check this out. And trust me, you will love this!



Behold, the most famous Wilson Sauce! It’s born out of that commitment to taste and quality. Wilson Sauce is a great compliment to chicken, pork, steak, or seafood. Use it for grillin', dippin', as a marinade, or substitute it for your favorite BBQ Sauce. You will not be disappointed! In 1953 Mr. John Wilson took over the original building from his father "Slim" and Johnny's Tavern was born! Johnny's Tavern has a reputation for serving really good food made with only the best ingredients. For those of you who haven’t tried Wilson Sauce, now’s a great time to do it. You decide for yourself and find out what it tastes like. You should also try that on pulled pork sandwiches. Why? Because it works great on them too.

When I plan on going to Johnny’s for the very first time, I wanna meet my friends there for a some hangout time and some dinner together. I can also go there for a special Best Buddies event. What I find at Johnny’s are the friendly staff here who I find them exciting and convincing. Like Siskel & Ebert, I wanna give Johnny’s Tavern two thumbs up. One of the best North Lawrence taverns in town.

If I were to try Johnny’s right now, I’d go for the ‘78 Classic with fries. Like always. But the other things I haven’t tried ever since are the pork tenderloin sandwich, the chicken strip platter with the style of Wilson Sauce, and of course those Wilson Wings.

They also do stone oven pizzas. According to the website, it says that Johnny’s pizzas are hand-tossed New York style with a delicious thin crust and Marinara Sauce. Their loyal customers claim that they have “THE BEST PIZZA AROUND.” In fact, I can even try it out next time I’m ready to give Johnny’s Tavern a try.

Here are my ideas for when I feel like going to Johnny’s Tavern. For me, I’m a pro at DJ Trivia every Wednesday at One Hot Mama’s and sometimes every Thursday at Station 300. So what I’m gonna suggest for every Thursday is this, what if I can participate for Trivia Night with DJ Shannon every Thursday at Johnny’s Tavern. Maybe I can tell all my friends to join me there. I can also go there for Trivia Night on a Thursday whenever I’m with a best buddy, or maybe when I’m with my friends. I can even ride my bike there as long as I’m very careful there and at least find a place to park too.

Here are the Trivia Night details.

1st place will receive a $30 gift card.
2nd place will receive a $20 gift card.
And 3rd place will receive a $10 gift card.

I can’t wait to try out Johnny’s Tavern for the very first time when I move back to Lawrence Kansas.

If you like my latest blog, let me know on the comments below. You know the drill!


That’s it for now, and I hope this blog entry will serves you tradition too.


This blog is dedicated to the good folks at Johnny’s Tavern and the friendly staff there. I’ll see you there. This one’s for you.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Ode To My Favorite Teacher, Lois Orth-Lopes

My C-Tran Story

My Two Special Tributes (Rachel & Jennifer Unruh)