Lawrence Top 10: New Places to Try In Lawrence

 

Hi there folks, and welcome to another edition of my Lawrence Top Ten.

And today we're gonna talk about the top ten new places I would like to try when I officially come back.

For this list, I'm gonna be discussing one of the places in Lawrence Kansas that I haven't tried ever since I moved out to Bluffton. But because of this, I'll be giving you more info about these places that I can check out for the very first time.

Also if you would like to come up with a topic of your own 'Lawrence Top Ten', let me know on The Lawrence Kansas Club page on Facebook.

Anyways, let's dig in.


Top 10 Restaurant Choices

#10: Hawaiian Bros Grill



During my visit to Lawrence Kansas, I once tried out Hawaiian Bros Island Grill for a little Dole Whip. It's located at 1501 W 23rd St, Lawrence, Kansas 66046. so if you're considering a little island-favorite lunch here, then you should check out Hawaiian Bros. It'll make you imagine yourself here in Hawaii for vacation.


#9: Johnny's Tavern


For generations, I've seen Johnny's Tavern here in Lawrence for many years. But for some reason, I haven't tried that place for years. So I'm gonna consider thinking about going to Johnny's Tavern for the very first time here. In case you didn't know, I'll give you the scoop on Johnny's Tavern.

Since 1953, Johnny’s has been “Serving Up Tradition,” with it’s world famous hamburgers and longest running tap in Lawrence. Johnny’s is now a hot spot for sports fans as well as families.

Now you know!


#8: Casa Grande Mexican Restaurant




Since when was the first time that I went there when I visited Lawrence Kansas in the first place? Well, last year since I got together with my friend Speed Mack. Ha! It's got the best authentic Mexican food in downtown Lawrence. Burritos, tacos, quesadillas, anything! When I come back again, I wanna go there for dinner one of these days. If you haven't heard of that place just yet, it's also the name of The Loud House spinoff series "The Casagrandes".




#7: Logie's on Mass


Located in 728 Massachusetts St.  It's got plenty of food here. There's pictures of famous people from movies, music, television, sports, and more. If I choose to go there for the first time in downtown Lawrence, I would get together for Country Night every Thursday here. If I also were to do that, I would watch some college football, or maybe some TV there. You figure it out.


#6: Glory Days Pizza


Serving Topeka & Lawrence since 1985. It's a local pizzeria chain serving classic & creative pies, plus sandwiches & wings, in a casual space. If I could check out Glory Days in Lawrence, I would get together with my friends and have a nice pizza day here. Now in case you haven't noticed, this place is based on the song "Glory Days" by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.



And if you like this song, then you love this video too. Rock on, you guys!




#5: Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers


Ever since my first I went there, it was that time here when I was with Lois Orth-Lopes here before I moved to Bluffton. It was my first time here during my last day in Lawrence Kansas. I just wish that I could come back to that place once again and have some lunch there. If I could think of a place like Raising Cane's, I'd think of someone who reminds me of a dog I once had when I was young.


#4: Mass Street BBQ


If you’re really a fan of barbecue and other foods like it, then you might like this BBQ place in Mass Street. This place has the best ribs in town. If you’ve seen a sketch on SNL, then you might like the swine fever commercial. If I could go there for dinner, I would try out the rib sampler or pulled pork barbecue meal. Another place I can try out is Stanley James Smokehouse, cause it has the best barbecue in town too. Those pulled pork sandwiches are what I really like to crave on.


#3: The Big Mill


The first time I went to Big Mill is when I was with my favorite teacher from Free State High School, Mr. Andrew. We talked about the good times we shared and chatted about some future ideas for whenever we can spend time together when I come back again. I really like the pizza there. And not only there’s pizza here, but it also has burgers too. I bet you knew that too. And check this out, it’s also the place to watch sports too, just like other bar and grill places. Next time I wanna go to Big Mill, I can invite my friends here, like Mr. Andrew. I really like the windmill in the restaurant’s logo and on the walls of the framed pictures.


#2: The Mad Greek


The Mad Greek! Oh man, that is my favorite place in downtown Lawrence I really love going to. I’ll never forget the time I got together with Lois Orth-Lopes and Sebastian Alfie for lunch. We had fun and talked about all sorts of things together, and we had a conversation about the good times I had together at Cordley. It was really fun, and I would like to do that again someday when I come back again. Lois and I will get together and have lunch there, just like the good times. And I hope that I will enjoy the pita bread again.


And now, the number one place to try in Lawrence is…


#1: Wayne & Larry's Bar & Grill at Royal Crest Lanes





Man, I really love that place ever since I was in high school with my friends. That was the time we all got together with Mr. Andrew, Brandon Johnson, Ben Mugridge, Tracie Norris, and others as we got together for a group lunch. One other thing that cracked me up is that Brandon dared me on the hot sauce. I tried a taste of it, and it almost burned my mouth on purpose. It was just like that scene from the movie ‘Yes Man’. Jim Carrey was involved on this hot sauce thing in his nose. My lesson I learned was to never taste drops of hot sauce with my tongue. That would be kinda bogus. So I would suggest eating foods at Wayne & Larry’s just the way I like it. Maybe I can also invite my friends and meet them over here for lunch or dinner there, and maybe we can go bowling at Royal Crest Lanes and play some video games at the arcade. Did I forget to mention that Wayne & Larry’s also has a pinball machine? Well now you do! It also has pinball games at the arcade. So if I can plan a trip to Royal Crest Lanes here in Lawrence, I can have something to eat there at Wayne & Larry’s. Why? Because it’s the official place where you can watch football on TV. Have you a place for football at Wayne & Larry’s? Come on down! We have the perfect football location in town.


And now, for my next bonus pick. And that is...

Pizza Shuttle!

We all know the song that got us stuck in our heads. Makes me feel funny, but really catchy though.

"Call 842-1212, call us now Pizza Shuttle!"

I really love that jingle in that radio commercial, it really makes me wanna dance...I think. Anyways, I really enjoy Pizza Shuttle because it's really fun and enjoyable whenever I'm in the mood for some pizza. In fact maybe when I'm back in Lawrence again, I'll consider choosing Pizza Shuttle once again for special time. And in case you haven't forgot, it's at its new location here in Lawrence. Hope you enjoy it!





And now for some honorable mentions:

1. Stanley James Smokehouse

2. The Wagon Wheel

3. Salty Iguana

4. West Coast Saloon

5. Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen

6. The Burger Stand at the Casbah

7. Fuzzy's Taco Shop

8. Brother's Bar & Grill

9. Bird Dog Bar at The Oread

10. RBar & Patio

11. Mr. Goodcents Subs and Pastas

12. Terrebonne

13. Pickleman's Gourmet Cafe

14. Papa Keno's Pizzeria

15. Auntie Em's Deli

16. 23rd Street Brewery

17. Lawrence Beer Company

18. The Big Biscuit

19. Free State Brewing Company

21. Taco Zone

22. Burrito King

23. Ladybird Diner

24. Fat Shack

25. Jefferson's


There you have it. Now, do you agree with my top ten list? Which place would you like me to try next when I come back to Lawrence? If you have a suggestion, let me know on ‘The Lawrence Kansas Club’ page on Facebook.

Stay tuned for the next upcoming blog entry for you.

And keep reading more blog entries and see what you really like.


That’s all for now, check back later for more blog entries on all things Lawrence has to talk about.


“Bon Appetite!” -Julia Child



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Ode To My Favorite Teacher, Lois Orth-Lopes

My C-Tran Story

My Two Special Tributes (Rachel & Jennifer Unruh)